We all know how important routers have become to us in execution of our daily tasks. We need internet for every other work we do these days. That is why majority of people use and buy Routers for their different needs. In this article you will get every detail you need to know about the routers and how you have to reset your router.
What is Router?
Router is an electronic device that helps in networking through sending the packets of data to the different computer networks. They have a special function on internet that is directing the traffic. When we send some data either in form of Emails or web pages that is sent in a packet of data. These routers are interlocked in between and send these data packets to different destination and thus form an internetwork with themselves.
These routers are linked to more than two networks at a time. Whenever a packet of data is reached to the router they tend to decode the network address information of the sender and tries to get to know about the destination of the data packet. There is a lot of information in its routing table and routing policy which is how it directs the data packet to its desired destination.
Features of Routers:
- Routers are typically used by many developing businesses and enterprises to indulge into academic facilities and research opportunities.
- Large businesses also use routers to fill the increasing demands for intranet.
- Routers provide a good connectivity between firms using Internet service providers (ISP).
- Similarly they are also used in a good proportion at households.
- There is a physical layer of copper which helps in easy transmission of data to different networks.
Recent updates form FBI regarding Routers
If you have been updated then you must be aware of the FBI dodging people to reset their home routers. The reason for doing this is simply for security. Recently a warning came via Talos Intelligence Report on a kind of malware which is called VPNFilter. This VPNFilter malware is responsible for infecting the networks. And this has been a very new malware and most of the routers do not have a prevention and detection system for this kind of malware. Therefore, the main reason for this reset of routers is this so that they are protected from any mishap.
And this came to FBI way earlier because they noticed that this malware has affected very many routers that are of good and reliable brands like Mikrotik, Netgear, QNAP. Therefore precaution is always preferable than cure. Thus the notion of resetting the routers is the main concern these days.
How to Reset Router?
Here in you will find some easy steps so as to how to reset your router:
This step is basically about unplugging your router and modem. And a very important one to reset your router.
- You need to be extremely careful when you unplug the router as it has many other options such as you don’t want to reboot it but reset it.
- When you unplug, you need to give the router a rest for about 5 minutes to make sure it has cooled down.
- Next you want to put the modem back on to power source. Wait a minute or two to let it connect to internet.
- Now plug the router and make necessary connections.
This is the next step for resetting your router. This is where the firmware is updated.
- When there is security issue you will find that the firmware needs to be updated.
- You need to download any firmware to patch with your router. Remember you will need to input your router’s information to get it.
- You can go to any kind of firmware site and download. And if you can’t find one you can use this one:
- For Linksys setup: https://www.linksys.com/hk/support-article?articleNum=135561
- For TP-Link setup: https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-114.html
- For NetGear setup: https://kb.netgear.com/23442/How-do-I-update-my-NETGEAR-router-firmware-using-the-Check-button-in-the-router-s-web-interface
- Keep in mind this process may take some time so do not switch off or use the Wi-Fi in between.
Next step to reset your router is this one. Here you can update any relevant and related apps.
- You can just update any apps that you find relevant using router.
- This is a small step but is important.
This is the last step to reset your router where you have to change your password.
- Please don’t use a default password. You need to ensure the security for your router that is why it is necessary that you keep a complicated and secures password after you reset your router.
To sum up, as we can see it is not that complicated to reset your router. You just need to follow these simple steps in order to reset your router and there you will have a more secures and a more reliable network router.